Do I need a fence permit?
Effective March 1, 2017, the Permitting Division of the Building Department will no longer issue fence permits. If you are installing a fence in the City of Madison Historic District, you will still need approval by the Historic Preservation Commission.

***If a fence is placed in an easement, you will be doing so AT YOUR OWN RISK. Should the City need to access the easement for any lawful purpose, it may, if necessary, remove any fences or hedges therein without replacing them and could be subject to code enforcement.***

Please reference the City Ordinances listed below pertaining to fences:

On a corner lot in all residential zoning districts, no fence, wall, hedge, or other planting or structure that will obstruct vision between a height of two and one-half (2 1/2) and six (6) feet above the centerline grades of the intersecting streets shall be erected, placed, or maintained within the triangular area formed by the right-of-way lines at such corner lots and a straight line joining said right-of-way lines at points which are thirty (30) feet distant from the intersection of the right-of-way lines and measured along said right-of-way lines.

(Ord. 97-142, 12-8-97)
Notwithstanding other provisions of this Zoning Ordinance, fences, walls, and hedges may be permitted in any side or rear yard, or along the side or rear edge of any front yard; provided that no solid fence, solid wall, or hedge along the edge of the front yard shall constitute any obstruction to visibility above two and one-half (2 1/2) feet above ground level. Hedges shall be permitted in required front yards, provided they do not extend into the street right-of-way or constitute an obstruction to visibility above two and one-half (2 1/2) feet above ground level. Hedges and fences shall be permitted in City easements, provided that, if the City accesses the easement for any lawful purpose, it may, if necessary, remove any fences and hedges therein without replacing them.

(Code 1979, § 18-3; Code 1992, § 17-3; Ord. No. 2014-106, § 1, 7-15-2014)
It shall be unlawful for any person to obstruct any ditch, storm drainage pipe, or waterway within any public right-of-way, public drainage easement, or natural stream so as to impede the flow of water in such ditch, storm drainage pipe, or waterway.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a fence permit?
2. How do I apply for a building permit for a new home?
3. When is a building permit required?
4. How long does it take to get a permit?
5. Do I need a permit for a sign?
6. Does the Building Department process permits online?
7. What methods of payments can be used to purchase permits?
8. How do I request an inspection on my construction project?
9. Will the Building Department do a Code Interpretation on construction plans or on a job site?
10. Do I need a building permit for a detached residential structure?
11. Can I act as a contractor to build my personal home?
12. When should I contact the Code Enforcement Division regarding a property where grass is overgrown?
13. Is a fence required around a residential pool?
14. What are the permit fees for a new house?
15. What is considered an abandoned vehicle?
16. Is a permit needed to advertise my garage sale?