Who takes care of trimming trees on public property?
The City of Madison trims tree limbs that extend over city streets on an as-needed basis. Dead trees or those that pose a hazard on city property are removed by Street Maintenance crews. Property owners are responsible for trimming shrubs and tree limbs that block sidewalks.

Inquiries regarding tree trimming should be directed to Public Works Streets Division at (256) 772-8490. To report an emergency such as street blockages due to fallen trees call (256) 772-8490 from 6:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. After hours and on weekends call police dispatch at (256) 722-7190.

Show All Answers

1. What is the difference between trash and garbage?
2. What if I have a traffic visibility problem?
3. What if there is a problem with a traffic signal?
4. What if there are street light problems?
5. What if there are trees that need trimming near utility lines?
6. Who takes care of trimming trees on public property?
7. What if I notice a need for street maintenance and repairs?
8. Who maintains street signs and pavement markings?
9. Can you locate a gravesite for me?
10. Is water provided for the landowner's use?
11. Return to Public Work