Traffic Accidents - What To Do

What to do if You are Involved in a Traffic Accident

  • The first thing to do is check and see if anyone involved is injured and offer first aid, if possible. 
  • Then, report the accident to the Madison Police Department by calling 911 or the non-emergency number 256-722-7190.
  • If no one is injured, parties involved in the accident should try to move the vehicles off of the roadway to a safer place. The old adage "leave the cars on the roadway for the police to see" can be a dangerous practice. We can usually tell what occurred based upon the vehicle damage and physical evidence at the scene.
  • If the vehicles are not drivable, leave them on the roadway and walk to a position of safety, such as a nearby sidewalk, and wait there for the police to arrive.

Reporting to Your Insurance Agent

It is necessary to notify your insurance agent immediately, regardless of who was the main contributor to the accident. 

Requesting a Report

If your agent requests a police report, it will be available 3-5 business days after the accident. You may pick up a copy at the Police Department or mail a request to the Madison Police Department, Attn: Records Division, 100 Hughes Road, Madison, AL 35758.

If you prefer, the report can be emailed or faxed to you. Please contact Records at 256-772-5685 to make this request.

In the event of a hit-and-run collision, a police officer will also fill out an Incident / Offense Report. You may also pick up a copy of this type of report at the Records Division. All reports are available free of charge to citizens.