Director of Building
100 Hughes Rd.
Ph: (256) 772-5644
Fx: (256) 772-5601
Monday - Friday
7:00 am - 4:00 pm
7:00 am - 3:30 pm
Doing business in Madison just got a little bit easier!
The Permitting Division has been relocated and will now be housed and functioning as a part of the Building Department. What does this mean for you as a contractor or Madison resident? Streamlined and more efficient services, of course!!! With this merger, wait times for approved plans will decrease and all of your permitting and building related concerns can be resolved within the same department. We will be able to fully serve our citizens and business community and move even closer to the launching our new ePermit Portal where you’ll be able to apply and search for permits online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Stay tuned for more details and an official launch date!
So remember, the next time you visit City Hall, stop by the Building Department window located on the lower level of building, for all of your permitting needs. We know how valuable time can be when it comes to getting a job done and this is just another way the City of Madison is working smarter for you and making it easier to do business here.
The Building Department, which consists of four divisions, is responsible for the administration of various building related residential and commercial construction codes, enforcement of property maintenance codes and certain sections of the City of Madison Code of Ordinances. The Building Department is also responsible for overseeing repairs and maintenance of various city owned property. Various activities of the Building Department include:
- Processing of permit applications for all types of construction
- Review of commercial and residential construction plans
- Issuing building and various related trade permits
- Conducting various inspections of new commercial and residential construction including alterations, additions, new detached structures, and swimming pools
- Evaluating existing buildings to verify code compliance based on occupancy
- Investigation of complaints relating to violations of the property maintenance code and other sections of the City Code of Ordinances
- Providing assistance to developers, contractors and citizens regarding building code requirements
- Educating the public concerning safety, health and welfare in the built environment
- Investigating unlicensed businesses
- Enforcing city sign regulations, as well as grass and weed control regulations
- Monitoring and enforcing regulations pertaining to junk, abandoned, unlicensed or inoperable vehicles
- Repairing and maintaining the interior and exterior of City Hall and the Madison City Library
The City currently enforces the 2006 International Residential Code and the 2009 International Building Code and related International Codes for Plumbing, Mechanical, and Fuel Gas as well as the 2009 Property Maintenance Code. The 2005 National Electric Code and 2005 International Electric Code govern all electrical work. The Green Building Standard ICC 700-2008 and the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code. The City has also adopted the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines
(ADAAG) for accessible design. To purchase a copy of the codes listed you may visit the International Code Council
website. Please note that copies are also available for reference at the Madison Public Library on Plaza Boulevard.