About the MFOTY Program
Established in April of 1996, the Madison Family of the Year (MFOTY) program was formed by the Mayor of the City of Madison to recognize the diversity and richness of family life in Madison. The program is led by a committee of volunteers in the Madison Community.
MFOTY recognizes those families in our community that maintain exceptional traits, as well as support activities and programs which make the City of Madison a great place to live. Our families and residents are the foundation of our community’s success, therefore we like to recognize them on an annual basis.
- Nominations can be submitted year round, but must be completed before Oct 5th to count towards the current year.
- October 5th: (11:59pm) Deadline for Nominations
- October 16th: Letters/Applications sent out to nominated families
- November 6th (11:59pm) Deadline to Receive Applications
- November 24th: "Blind" judging begins
- December 1st - 10th Panel interview for finalists
- January 10th: Award Reception (Sunday afternoon)
- January 25th: Announcement at City Council Meeting
- January 29th: Connect 2016
- Note: Dates are tentative and have the possibility of change; watch this site for updates
- The family selected must have been Madison residents for one full year (January-December) prior to application.
- All direct family members must be U.S. citizens or legal aliens.
- Elected City Officials are not eligible.
- Immediate families of the Family of the Year Committee are not eligible.
- A family consisting of a single parent household, a married couple, and/or a married couple with a child or children.
- The family entity/couple must be legally married as recognized by Alabama law.
- A single parent family must be a widow or widower, or legally divorced or legally separated as recognized by Alabama law.
- No direct family member in household may be the subject of any criminal indictment or be delinquent in compliance with any outstanding civil action.
- The family must complete the application with true and honest information in their writings on the form; possibly including but not limited to sharing information in reference the following: Community Involvement; Affiliations; Areas of Service including Military, Civic, Academic, Religious, Sports, Boards & Committees and other areas; Recognitions and Awards; Positions, Titles and Roles; Achievements and Accomplishments; Interests, Hobbies and Experiences; and Goals, Hopes & Dreams.
- The selected family must be able to fulfill their obligations as the “Family of the Year” for the reigning year.
Obligations of the "Madison Family of the Year"
- The Family of the Year approves that their individual and family pictures may be used for the “Family of the Year” advertisements and promotions.
- The Family of the Year agrees to do their best to have the entire family representing the Madison Family of the Year at the following:
- Connect 2016
- Madison Street Festival
- Madison Christmas Parade
- Madison Business Expo & Kids Day
- Madison Events as requested by the Madison Family of the Year Committee
- The Family of the Year will make themselves available for interviews by the media as conveniently scheduled with them.
- The Madison Family of the Year agrees to the code of conduct as signed by the family prior to accepting the position of “Madison Family of the Year”
- A member of the Family of the Year should consider serving on the Madison Family of the Year Committee for the year following reign.