City of Madison, AL - Home Page

Go To Search
homeprint page
Calendar  |  Bid Opportunities  |  Contact Us  |  Sitemap
Traffic Accidents - What To Do
What to do if You are Involved in a Traffic Accident
  • First thing to do is check and see if anyone involved is injured, give first aid if possible. Then call the Police Department or have someone do it for you.
  • If no one is injured, you should try and move the vehicles out of the roadway to a safer place. The old adage "you need to leave the cars in the roadway for the police to see" is a dangerous practice. We can usually tell what occurred based upon the vehicle damage and physical evidence at the scene.
  • If the vehicles are not drivable, leave them in the roadway and walk to a position of safety (like the sidewalk) and wait there for the police to arrive.

Reporting to Your Insurance Agent
It is necessary to notify your insurance agent immediately, regardless of who was at fault. It is mandatory to complete a Department of Motor Vehicles SR-13 Form within 30 days of the accident.

Requesting a Report
If your agent requests a police report, it will be available three days after the accident. You may pick up a copy at the Police Department or mail a request to:
Madison Police Department, Attn: Records Division
100 Hughes Rd.,
Madison, AL 35758

If you prefer, the report can be e-mailed or faxed to you.  Please contact MPD Records at 256-772-5685 to request.

In the event of a hit-and-run collision, a police officer will also fill out an Incident / Offense Report. You may pick up a copy of this at the police department. All reports are available free of charge.

Privacy Statement  |  Accessibility  |  Copyright Notices  |  Renewable Energy  |  Photo Credits  |  Contact Us  |  Sitemap  |  Powered by CivicPlus