Traffic Safety Tips
- Leave earlier.
- Slow down and obey speed limits. Neighborhood speed limits are 25 mph.
- Do not enter intersections until there is enough room to clear the entire intersection.
- Never place a child safety seat in front of an airbag.
- Streets are designated for vehicles and should never be used as a playground for your children.
- Maintain a safe distance between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you.
- School buses are picking up and dropping off children. Stop while buses are loading and unloading.
- School zones are 25 mph and are strictly enforced.
Did You Know?
- The Alabama Code Title 32 requires motorists that are involved in a traffic crash to remain at the scene of the accident and render aid if there are injuries.
- You are not required to stop for a school bus loading or unloading if you are on a divided highway and you are on the opposite side.
- If you double your speed, you quadruple your stopping distance.
- The top causes of traffic accidents in Madison are:
- Driver Not in Control - Inattentiveness to the task of driving
- Failure to Yield Right of Way - Pulling /turning in front of another vehicle
- Following Too Close - Following another vehicle too close to stop when the vehicle in front stops abruptly