Can I act as a contractor to build my personal home?
Yes. However, you must physically occupy your home for a period of no less than one year from the date the house was issued a Certificate of Occupancy. You will also be required at the time of permit issuance to sign an affidavit stating that you plan to occupy the residence. All work may be performed by the owner/builder with the exception of gas pipe installations. If the owner/builder hires someone else to do certain work such as plumbing or heating and air conditioning, then Alabama licensed contractors must be used and they must have a valid City of Madison license.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a fence permit?
2. How do I apply for a building permit for a new home?
3. When is a building permit required?
4. How long does it take to get a permit?
5. Do I need a permit for a sign?
6. Does the Building Department process permits online?
7. What methods of payments can be used to purchase permits?
8. How do I request an inspection on my construction project?
9. Will the Building Department do a Code Interpretation on construction plans or on a job site?
10. Do I need a building permit for a detached residential structure?
11. Can I act as a contractor to build my personal home?
12. When should I contact the Code Enforcement Division regarding a property where grass is overgrown?
13. Is a fence required around a residential pool?
14. What are the permit fees for a new house?
15. What is considered an abandoned vehicle?
16. Is a permit needed to advertise my garage sale?